Do you find yourself going to the store to purchase pre-made pizza dough or ordering pizza from a local delivery joint? Making pizza dough is very easy and you can have a fresh pizza in the oven in 1 hour. Choose toppings that can range from fresh mozzarella cheese, crushed tomatoes, and fresh basil to a wide assortment from seafood to meats. You pick the toppings – this pizza dough will become one of your stand-by recipes. If you have not made pizza dough, now is the time to try it out. You will feel like a ‘rock-star’ when you hear the rave reviews from your homemade pizza. Throw that pizza delivery number away! Below are a few photos of an assortment of pizzas I (with the help of some close friends) have made recently.
- 3 cups flour - if you have "OO" Italian flour, that makes a very authentic crust
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Dissolve yeast in warm water and let sit for 5 - 8 minutes.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Stir in the yeast mixture. Incorporate until you have an ball of dough. If the mixture seems too dry, add water 1 tablespoon at a time. I recommend using your hands to combine. Knead in the bowl until the dough is smooth and elastic. Rub the dough with a small amount of olive oil. Cover and let rest for 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425. Punch down the dough and put dough on your greased pizza pan. Pat dough to the size of the pan. Add toppings. Bake pizza 15 - 20 minutes - you will have to watch this time frame - depending on the toppings you might need to adjust baking time. Serve.