Have you ever been asked to bring an appetizer to a party? This is the recipe that you will want to keep handy and prepare over and over again. As you know from the majority of my posts, I love make ahead easy to prepare dishes. Overnight Marinated Shrimp and Avocados is just that type of recipe. Always a hit – serve with water crackers or over a bed of lettuce. The perfect appetizer or first course.
Overnight Marinated Shrimp and Avocados
- 2 pounds large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 2 avocados, firm and ripe, cubed
- 1 red onion, sliced extremely thin
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Place the shrimp, avocados, and red onion in a large zip top bag. Combine remaining ingredients and pour over shrimp mixture. Toss to coat. Refrigerate overnight, turn bag a few times. Drain mixture, serve cold. Serves 12 as an appetizer.