This recipe is one of our family favorites. When our children would come home from college, many times, this was one of their requested dinners. A perfect cooked chicken breast, topped with sliced tomatoes, avocado and floating in a rich cream sauce. Great served with rice and a roasted green vegetable.
First step, brown the chicken breasts in butter
Chicken, avocado and tomato layer in baking dish
- 4 whole chicken breasts halved, skinned, boned and pounded to even thickness
- Lemon juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Grated nutmeg
- 8 slices ripe but firm avocado, peeled and thinly sliced
- 12 slices tomato
- 1/4 cup grated Gruyere cheese
- Lightly rub chicken breasts with lemon juice and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Heat the butter in a medium skillet until foamy and sauté the chicken breasts, turning to keep coated with butter. Cook 8 - 12 minutes, or until done. Remove chicken from skillet and place on a shallow baking dish.
- Add the broth and wine to the butter in the skillet. Reduce over high heat until syrupy. Add the cream stir until the mixture thickens and coats a spoon. Add nutmeg, salt and pepper, to taste.
- Arrange the chicken breasts, avocado, and tomato slices alternately in shallow baking dish.
- Cover with the sauce and top with the grated cheese.
- Place under the broiler until bubbly.
- Serves 4